Monday, October 17, 2011

Trip 122: The Fat Lady Sang

Date: October 16, 2011
Trip: 122
Landmarks Visited: 4
Landmarks To-Date: 353
Landmarks Remaining: 0!

The fat lady performed on a brisk Fall Sunday morning. Shawn joined me on a trip to see the four last landmarks on my list.

1. Oglesby Cooperative Apartment Building (6901 S Oglesby Avenue)





2. Gwendolyn Brooks House

The poet lived in this small frame house during the early 20th century.



3. Adams House (9326 S Pleasant Avenue)

I did not have a grand plan for the order that I visited landmarks. So I'm pleased that it worked out that a Frank Lloyd Wright design was part of my last trip. Wright was obviously important to Chicago architecture and I was a fan of his work before I even started this project.





3. Oakland District (4100 block of S Berkeley and surrounding historic structures)

My lack of planning worked out well for me again in that my very last landmark was a pleasant surprise. The heart of this district is a block Queen Anne-style cottages designed by Cicero Hine in the late 1800s. I've never seen houses quite like these in Chicago. The block very much has the feel of a German or Dutch village. I especially like the rounded corners of the first floors of some of the cottages, and the larger second floors.

I included a picture of Shawn here because he joined me for more landmark trips than anyone else. Thanks Shawn, I couldn't have done it without you!


























Thanks for reading my blog! I hope that you enjoyed it.

Chris

3 comments:

  1. Great emphasis made on the tour of Chicago. The fat lady's work out and effort is really praiseworthy.It encourage to visit the place again and again.

    cheap hotels booking in Granada

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your blog.This site encourages to read this post.I really like your idea. Thanks for sharing.

    singapore airport transfer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicago architectures are really doing great work. Every pic is giving proof of their talent and I am highly impressed .Great post you have shared .It made my day.
    car rental Singapore

    ReplyDelete