Monday, August 30, 2010

Trip 64: Bachman House

Date: August 30, 2010
Trip: 64
Landmarks Visited: 1
Landmarks To-Date: 177
Landmarks Remaining: 176

Today after work I risked the cloudy sky and took a quick bike ride north to see the Bachman House. But the big news is that this trip put me over the half-way mark! It's taken a while to get to this point, but at least it makes me think that I can finish this project. Still the second half of the list will be a lot tougher to cover because I've already visited the major groupings of landmarks in and around the Loop.

The interesting thing about the Bachman House is that it appears much more contemporary in terms of design than it really is. I would have guessed that it was built in the '60s or '70s. But it actually dates to 1948. It's surrounded by very traditional or typical Chicago homes, so it really stands out.

The shape of the house seems church-like to me. The only aspect of the house that I don't care for is that it doesn't have many windows--at lease that you can see from the street.




No comments:

Post a Comment