Sunday, January 9, 2011

Trip 84: Engine Company 59, Truck 47

Date: January 8, 2011
Trip: 84
Landmarks Visited: 1
Landmarks To-Date: 219
Landmarks Remaining: 134

On Saturday morning I braved 16 degree temperatures and a stubborn cold to try-out my new GPS (a Christmas gift from my parents) and to visit my first landmark of 2011. Engine Company 59 is located in a neighborhood on the north side. For a neighborhood firehouse it is relatively ornate with a tile roof, bronze encased dormer windows, two bronze City of Chicago emblems and significant white terra cotta decoration, including Chicago Fire Department logos above each door.

It's also relatively large and has adjacent parking. The building looks vacant. I'm surprised that a developer hadn't converted it to condos prior to the 2008 real estate crash. The building looks to be in very good condition, so perhaps the city still makes use of the second floor for offices of some type.







No comments:

Post a Comment