Friday, February 18, 2011

Trip 92: Lathrop House

Date: February 16, 2011
Trip: 92
Landmarks Visited: 1
Landmarks To-Date: 239
Landmarks Remaining: 114

On Wednesday I used my lunch hour to join two friends to tour the Charnley House on Astor Street in the Gold Coast neighborhood. The Charnley House is a landmark (designed by Louis Sullivan) that I previously visited during the summer. But this time I got to see the interior--I definitely recommend the tour which is offered by the Society of Architectural Historians.

On my way to the Charnley House, I swung by the Lathrop House, which is also located in the Gold Coast. The house is now home to the Fortnightly of Chicago, a women's social organization. The Lathrop House is considered Georgian Revival, which I think is relatively unusual for Chicago. There are definitely a number of more typical Chicago greystones on the same street.



No comments:

Post a Comment