Sunday, June 6, 2010

Trip 34: Theurer-Wrigley House

Date: June 3, 2010
Trip: 34
Landmarks Visited: 1
Landmarks To-Date: 61
Landmarks Remaining: 292

On my way to work on Thursday I stopped by the Theurer-Wrigley House. It's on the west side of Lakeview Avenue facing Lincoln Park, so I was worried that morning sun glare would prevent me from getting any photos. Luckily, it was overcast that morning so the sun wasn't a problem. The lesson learned is that gray days are actually better for this project. It reminded me of photographer that I used to show when I owned an art gallery.

Jeremy Ehly is a photographer and architect who started taking photos of the cornices of buildings while he was living in Seattle. The overcast sky's of Seattle made perfect backdrops for his black and white photos. He continued shooting on gray days even after moving to Chicago.

So back to the tour, the Theurer-Wrigley House is a beautiful private home. I think the outstanding features are the salmon colored bricks with matching terra cotta details, the contrasting stone foundation, and the round sun room with copper accents. The house is also perfectly maintained.







No comments:

Post a Comment