Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Trip 105: Railroad Bridges Day Two

Date: May 30, 2011
Trip: 105
Landmarks Visited: 3
Landmarks To-Date: 293
Landmarks Remaining: 60

On Memorial Day I headed out with Shawn for a second day of visiting railroad bridges.

1. Chicago & Illinois Western Railway Bridge

In the first two photos, the bridge in question is the one in the foreground with the graffiti. The limits of my camera's zoom capabilities prevented me from getting a good photo. From some web research, I learned that what makes this bridge unique is that it rolls back a short distance as it cantilevers upward.

The third photo is not mine. I found it on the web and it better shows the mechanical portions of the bridge.




2. Illinois Central Railroad Swing Bridge 2

This bridge and its twin below both swing from a central pier to open.





3. Illinois Central Railroad Swing Bridge 1


No comments:

Post a Comment