Monday, July 19, 2010

Trip 47: An Afternoon Stroll in Lincoln Park

Date: July 18, 2010
Trip: 47
Landmarks Visited: 2
Landmarks To-Date: 137
Landmarks Remaining: 216

On Sunday I went to see a matinee with friends Yen, Nick and Liz. We saw "Inception", and it turned out to be a really fun film. I'm not a big fan of action films, so I wasn't sure that I would like it. But the film's concept of dreams within dreams keeps you guessing what's actually happening. And for a film set in the current time, I though the costume design was really interesting.

After the film, I took a walk through two landmark districts in Lincoln Park. With this trip, I realized why Lincoln Park is such a desirable neighborhood. There are literally block after block of beautiful, period homes. When you drive through the neighborhood on the main streets, you really miss a lot. I definitely didn't include a photo here of every photo-worthy house in the district.

1. Mid-North District

This is a relatively large landmark district of primarily single family homes. There's a broad variety of periods and architectural styles. I was surprised by the (relatively) large number of wooden frame houses. I had thought that building codes after the Great Chicago Fire had prohibited frame homes in much of the city. I think that the fire did spread this far north, but I don't know how much of this area it covered. So some of these wooden homes could pre-date the fire.







































2. Mid-North District Extension
The extension to the district includes two large apartment buildings. One is a yellow brick building with a large courtyard. I've always liked courtyard buildings because I have this image of all the residents being friendly and mingling in the courtyard as they come and go. I'm sure the reality isn't so romantic.
The other building appears significantly older, has a red stone facade on the first floor, and red bricks for the upper floors.








No comments:

Post a Comment