Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Trip 65: 860-880 N. Lake Shore Drive

Date: August 31, 2010
Trip: 65
Landmarks Visited: 1
Landmarks To-Date: 178
Landmarks Remaining: 175

After work I took the Lake Shore bus to Michigan and Delaware, then I walked a couple of blocks east to Lake Shore and Delware to see these Ludwig Mies van der Rohe buildings up close. I had seen the buildings many times driving down Lake Shore, but even up close I was struck by how timeless they are. They were built in 1949, but you still see very similar glass and steel skyscrappers built today.

In person I also notice how minimalist the lobbies of these buildings really are. There is a simple reception desk and a couple of modernist chairs--nothing more. The grounds are similarly basic, just flat lawns and a small concrete courtyard connecting the buildings.





No comments:

Post a Comment