Sunday, May 23, 2010

Trip 27: Oakdale Avenue District





















Date: May 19, 2010
Trip: 27
Landmarks Visited: 1
Landmarks To-Date: 33
Landmarks Remaining: 320
On Wednesday I stopped at the Oakdale Avenue District on my way to work. It's another one block neighborhood of beautiful homes, probably from around the turn of the last century. What's interesting about this neighborhood is the variety of architectural styles on this block. There are typical Chicago greystones, red and yellow brick homes, an brick apartment building with terra cotta accents, and one house with a great deal of decorative metal work on the facade.
This trip was the first time that I was questioned by anyone about what I was doing. I expected this to happen sooner or later. A lady in a Porsche SUV stopped in the street and said, "Excuse me, excuse me, are you taking pictures of my house?" I found it a little amusing that of course a rich lady would assume it was all about her. Still I was polite and just said that I was taking photos of the neighborhood, and that she shouldn't worry.
I realize that with all the paranoia about child abduction and terrorism, this is likely to happen again. So I think I'm going to make some business cards with the website for this blog. Hopefully, that will put most people at ease if they can see for themselves that this is totally harmless.

















No comments:

Post a Comment